The annual Tekom fair/conference and TCWorld conference is the largest global event and marketplace for technical communication. In 2016, 4000 visitors and 170 exhibitors from almost 40 countries were expected to attend in Stuttgart, Germany.
The full list of #tekom16 presentations, many in German, is now live on the Tekom site. Here we’ve pulled out a selection of the English ones for our readers, covering trends in techcomm including: talent management, translation and localisation, technical authoring, software documentation, DITA and more. Thank you to TCWorld for posting their conference wisdom.
- Unlock the Automation Capabilities of XML – Deepti Tiwari
- DITA Publishing: Overview – George Bina
- 21st Century Tasks: Updating Your Procedure Topics for the Modern World – Leah Guren
- Optimizing DITA Content for Search Engine Optimization (and Why It Matters) –Keith Schengili-Roberts
- Technical English Ab Initio – Shumin Chen
- How Language Professionals Can Influence Machine Translation Quality – Dr Aljoscha Burchardt, Kim Harris
- How to Work with Translators: Best Practices for Producing the Best Technical Translations – Dr Linda Gaus
- Optimize Your Localization Strategy by Using an Innovative Methodology for Decision Support – Dr Axel Poestges (zip file)
Tekom and talent
- English for Non-Native Writers: Working with Rule-Based Writing Guidelines –Kristina Johnson Coenen, Ursula Reuther
- The tekom Profiling Tool: How to Define Job Roles and Competence Profiles for Technical Writers – Professor Sissi Closs, Jürgen Sapara
- Summit Meeting: Search Meets Terminology – Christian Lieske, Dr Felix Sasaki
- Managing Feature Flags in Documentation – Dr Peter Gutsche, Sylvia Pick
- DITA Open Toolkit: Open the Gates to Structured Content – Iliana Kostova
- Intelligent Publishing with XML and InDesign – Charles Cooper
- Taxonomy for Technical Content: a Powerful Tool to Use with Care – Joe Pairman
- Over the rainbow: A strategy for ubiquitous content – Marie Girard
- Information 4.0: Writing for the Machines – Fabrice Lacroix
Digital product communication
Project, team and cost management in techcomm
- Developing Training Websites in Multiple Languages with (Mostly) Open-Source Tools – Alan Pringle, Tina Meißner (zip file)
Next year’s TCWorld conference takes place in Stuttgart: October 24-26, 2017.