Looking for some good basic resources in responsive design? In the final extract from iCrossing content strategist Danny Chadburn’s ebook: Responsive design: how to weave content into an adaptive framework, we publish his resources list and add a few more helpful links to aid your professional development in this job role.
- The article by Ethan Marcotte that coined the term Responsive Design.
- Guidelines for RWD from Smashing Magazine.
Tutorials and tools
- A Net Magazine tutorial to teach you some adaptive layout basics.
- Handy sketch sheets to help you plan how your content may look.
- Test your site and content on various devices using Screenfly.
- A SlideShare deck covering content workflow for responsive sites.
- See an ever-growing list of responsive site examples.
- A huge list of useful responsive resources that will keep you going for hours.
And here are a few select adds of our own…
- Responsive design: how to weave content into an adaptive framework by Danny Chadburn.
- Adobe’s Responsive Design Best Practices
- Responsive Web Design by Ethan Marcotte
Articles and discussions
- Forbes has a nice overview for business clients on why you might need a responsive website.
- The five golden rules of responsive web design (because we can’t resist a list).
- Responsive Design Won’t Fix Your Content Problem by Karen McGrane.
- The SEO benefits of responsive design.
- Adaptive vs responsive: is a responsive or adaptive design right for your website?
Examples and case studies
- See a responsive design rollout on the BBC’s website.
- For a more technical view, Smashing Magazine has analysed the BBC’s redesign here.
- Econsultancy has collated 25 examples of good responsive design websites.
- A 20-minute introduction from LearnWebCode: Responsive Web Design Tutorial and Explanation.
- A popular one-hour tutorial on YouTube that helps you create a responsive website from scratch: Create a Responsive Website Using HTML5 and CSS3.
- Google Developers’ guide to responsive design: Building Smartphone-Optimized Websites.
- Net Magazine has rounded 13 really useful responsive design tutorials